Saturday, March 07, 2009

My horizons have been stretched this week with Jesus Christ Superstar on Tuesday night, the conversation at the choir dinner Weds. night, the discussion at the RCFDW meeting on Thurs. night, and last night when I attended the Erev Shabbat service at the Jewish temple. I'm ready for an evening of no stretching. I can only process so much new information.

The most enjoyable evening, by far, was last night at the temple. Hearing the prayers said and hymns sung in the Hebrew language, as Jesus heard them and said them, was very moving to me. I had never attended a Jewish service before, so had no idea what to expect. As it turned out, there were several friends there from St. Philip's, so we all sat together.

We went primarily to hear the Rev. C. Welton Gaddy, a Baptist minister from Monroe, LA, who has authored several books, has a radio show on Air America, and heads up the Interfaith Alliance, which promotes mutual respect, cooperation, and civility among America's different faith traditions. He didn't say anything that I disagreed with, and most everything he said I've thought and/or said at some point in my spiritual journey, so I really enjoyed his remarks. It's nice to have my beliefs affirmed by someone so highly esteemed as this man.

I enjoyed the musical on Tuesday night, and its enjoyment factor runs a close second to last night's experience. Even though the guy who played Jesus is good, I think, at 66, he really should retire and let a younger guy take the lead. One of his songs included some screaming that I detested. Maybe the agony of Jesus included some screaming, it probably did, but it's always been the sound that unnerves me the quickest, so I was glad when that song ended. How he screams that way and maintains a singing voice is a mystery to me.

I've always identified with Mary Magdalene, so naturally, she was my favorite character in this production. Her two songs, "Everything's Alright," and "I Don't Know How to Love Him" have always been my favorites from the soundtrack, and they still are.

Mike and I have had a civil day together, for the most part. I'm wondering if Ron didn't say something to him yesterday about treating me better. He was here for a visit, along with their friend Steve, and he told me he knew of situations like ours where the caregiving spouse totally abandons the sick person. He may have said the same thing to Mike.

No comments: