Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's been a busier-than-usual week-end for me, so I'm glad to see it coming to an end. The Mardi Gras party went well Friday night, the show was a hit, judging from the crowd's reactions, the dinner was delicious, the band got everybody out on the dance floor, AND we made money for the Altar Guild and the Choir, so I'm pleased, and I congratulate those who pulled off another successful affair. I'm also glad we only do this once a year. I hope by this time next year, I'm not so tired and stressed, and can be more in the mood to "Laissez Les Bon Temps Roule!!"

Last night I went with my friend Yvonne to see The Vagina Monologues, a play written back in 1996 by Eve Ensler, who interviewed women for stories of "intimacy, vulnerability, and sexual self-discovery." She was inspired to create V-Day, a global movement to stop violence against women and girls. Portions of the play are funny, but the tragic parts are in there, too, and a couple of the stories moved me to tears. Women, you owe it to yourselves to see this play, if you never have.

Today was church, lunch with friends, exercise at the Y, and taking it easy. I've been trying to watch the Oscars, but having seen no more movies than I've seen in the past year, it's not very interesting to me. I didn't know most of the people who strolled the Red Carpet, which made me feel really out of touch. When did I lose interest in Pop Culture? I think it was around the time I turned 50, and some of you know exactly how long ago that was.

No comments: