Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I went to see "Marley and Me" with a friend today and thoroughly enjoyed it, even the sad ending. I sobbed aloud at the end, but I was not the only one; nobody left the theatre with dry eyes. I tried to make the most of it, since the tears don't come for me nearly as easily as they used to, and it felt so good. I wish I could have that kind of boo-hoo every time I feel really sad, but it just doesn't happen anymore.

I spent some time with Mike this evening, took him some more clothes, and assisted him with his supper. He thought one of the nurses had helped him bathe, and they may have, but another one told me he refused to do it when she suggested he should. He's usually very conscientious about bathing, not so much about shaving, but he never neglects daily bathing.

I finally got more complete information on the extent of Mike's injuries from Dr. Irby, the neuro-psychologist who has been involved intermittently with Mike's care since his stroke. He had seen the CAT scans and the intake notes. He still wants to review the discharge notes, too, before he will know how to proceed with recommendations for treatment at Methodist Rehab. It's possible that Mike could go there after this stint in the Brandon facility. One of the places in his brain that was injured regulates emotions, inhibitions, social interaction, etc. so that’s why we’re seeing behavior very similar to his alcoholic behavior even though he hasn’t had anything to drink.

New Year's Eves spent alone used to depress me, and tonight I am sorta lonesome, but it's better to be lonesome when you're the only person in the house than to be lonesome when you're not the only person in the house, right? Hope 2009 is a great year for all of us!

No comments: