Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Being only a nominal fan of Contemporary Christian Music, the name Ray Boltz did not ring a bell with me. So I had to google the name to come up with an explanation for my neighbor's remark - "I guess you heard about Ray Boltz?" Then a quick change of subject.

What I found troubled me deeply. Nobody does vitriolic scolding and judging quite like people who love their Bibles more than the people around them. No wonder Gandhi said:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

The best story I found of this man's "coming out of the closet" is in the Washington Blade. Some of the most excoriating comments are also there. I've written about this subject before, so I will simply copy and paste a couple of things from previous posts:

To quote an Episcopal priest whom I admire: "As Christians do we reject, ostracize, persecute as unholy 'other oriented' people until scientific evidence is conclusive? Or do we err on the side of grace, compassion and welcome? I would rather stand before the Great Judgment Seat of Christ and apologize for the latter."

And these words from Anglican theologian Richard Hooker are relevant, too: "I pray that none will be offended if I seek to make the Christian religion an inn where all are received joyously, rather than a cottage where some few friends of the family are to be received."

Mr. Boltz would be warmly welcomed by any progressive Episcopal parish any day of the week. I hope he finds a fellowship where he is fully accepted and appreciated.

No comments: