Thursday, June 19, 2008

I did something this morning I hope I never have to do again - serve eviction notice to a tenant who is two months behind in rent and late fees. My judgment was not good about this particular woman. I based it on the positive referrals I got without running a credit check. Big mistake. A person's credit record says more about their trustworthiness than any personal reference. Talk is cheap, show me the money. Lesson learned.

I'm also learning how to navigate the justice court system in Madison County, which has a reputation for throwing the book at delinquent renters. The judge there cuts them no slack from what I've heard. We're still getting checks from a delinquent renter who was evicted last year and whose wages are being garnished, but the property manager who quit last December handled that case, so this is the first time I've ever done this.

I'm trying my best to keep this in the business part of my brain and not let the sympathetic personal feelings I have for her and her family cloud my judgment again. Looking at the balance in my checkbook helped me draw the line. If I feel myself wavering, I'll just look at it again.

No comments: