Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tonight's coverage of West Virginia's primary is not nearly as interesting to me as last week's coverage of Indiana and North Carolina. With 67% of the precincts reporting, 28% of the WV whites have voted for Obama, which surprises me. Based on pre-election chatter, I thought that number would be closer to zero. Edwards, who was still on the ballot there, got 7% of the vote.

Did you see where Pastor Hagee apologized for calling the Catholic Church the great whore? Excuse me if I sound cynical, but this apology has the ring of political expediency, doesn't it? According to some of the comments I saw on various sites, several of McCain's supporters were disappointed that he apologized. Still no apology for blaming Katrina on the gays and lesbians.

There is a close race for Mississippi's First District House seat between Travis Childers and Greg Davis, but since Steve Holland got beat, I haven't paid much attention to it. Childers seems to be winning, based on the partial count I've seen. Having a Democrat in that slot, which has been held by a Republican for years, will be great, I just hope it's not won with the questionable tactics exposed today. Whoever circulated that racist brochure just made the Democratic candidate look bad. (Or maybe it was put out by the Republicans to make the Democrats look bad... wouldn't be the first time.) Childers says he knew nothing about it, so I believe him. The Davis commercials tried to tie Childers to Obama and his former pastor. According to the NY Times:

Former Gov. William Winter, a Democrat, expressed shock at the current campaign. “I am appalled that this blatant appeal to racial prejudice is still being employed,” said Mr. Winter, who lost the 1967 governor’s race after his segregationist opponent circulated handbills showing blacks listening to one of his speeches. Mr. Winter went on to win the governor’s office 12 years later. “I had thought we had gotten past that,” Mr. Winter said. “That was a tactic that was used against me in the 1960s.”

I do wish Childers hadn't been ashamed to say he backs Obama, if he does indeed back Obama. He was endorsed on Obama's website until yesterday. Sounds kinda fishy to me.

Speaking of fish, have you read Paul's blog this week? It's not about fish. I think he needs to add binoculars and camera to his fishing gear, and let us know what other rare, exotic birds he spots.

No comments: