Tuesday, January 08, 2008

(Warning: I'm still bellyaching!)
.
It seemed like such a simple solution. Why hadn't I thought of it sooner? Rather than giving Wellbutrin another week to work without the whole world spinning around, why not just leave it off for a few days and see if I feel better? After all, the symptoms I've had can also be caused by the illness itself, not just by the withdrawal from/adjustment to medications for the illness. Why not just leave them all off for a few days, you know, the old "back to square one" principle. So this is Day Two of no anti-depressants. The dizziness is gone, and the crickets aren't singing quite as loudly.
.
None of the pros I talked to offered this solution as Plan B. My doctor said I should give the Wellbutrin another week, just like the pharmacist told me, and that was after he told me that "pharmacists don't know!" Well, they are more accessible than doctors are, and as long as their advice tracks exactly with that of the doc's, I will continue to consult them. Neither of them seemed to understand how miserable I've been, though, so I had to come up with my own course of action. It can't be any worse than what I've been through, and who knows? I might just feel better! We'll see.
.
As a sort of serendipitous affirmation of my decision, I got a newsletter from WebMD this morning that included 7 physical symptoms that can be caused by depression. Most of them I know about firsthand. I've found that Excedrin Back and Body tablets work wonders on several of them, no prescription needed.
.
The most productive thing I've done lately is clean my desk, inside and out. 95% of its contents got tossed. That's real progress for a packrat like me. I've also compiled new playlists on my WMP. Current favorites are "THE Divas, IMO" including Bonnie Raitt, Nora Jones, Etta James, Sarah MacLachlan, Diana Krall, Emmylou Harris, Aretha Franklin, and Marcia Ball. I've got some Melissa Ethridge and Ella Fitzgerald to add to this. Did I leave out any of your favorites? Let me know, I might just add them.
.
I downloaded an Etta James album last week-end that I absolutely love, not one track on it I don't like. My No. 1 favorite is "I've Been Lovin' You Too Long." It shook me to the core and brought tears to my eyes. It's so much better than what Otis Redding, the Rolling Stones, or Barbara Mandrell did. If I ever figure out how to add one of those mini-players to this blog, I'll play it for you. Why has a button been provided on Blogger for images and video, but not audio? I've found the html code for adding it, just haven't figured out how to add the one song I want to play. If any of you have figured out how to do this, please let me know. I'll be very grateful.
.
6:30 pm. Just noticed on the BPP blog that the second Monday of January is National Clean Off Your Desk Day. More serendipity? Or is it like my friend LaRue says: it occurred to me (secular speak for "The Holy Spirit impressed on me...") Twelve Step folks say there's no such thing as coincidence. I dunno for sure. I do know it gives me a very satisfied and happy feeling when I make a change and then get validation for that change from unexpected sources. One of my favorite verses from Isaiah says, and this is paraphrased: Whether I turn to the right or to the left, my ears will hear a voice behind me saying, "This is the way; walk in it. (30:21)

No comments: