Sunday, September 09, 2007

Happy Grandparents Day to all my grandparenting friends out there! It's not a day that gets much attention, but it has been a national holiday for almost 30 years. I've always been so thankful for the grandparents I had, I think they deserve a special day for remembrance. From the official website I copied this:
.
The impetus for a National Grandparents Day originated with Marian McQuade, a housewife in Fayette County, West Virginia. Her primary motivation was to champion the cause of lonely elderly in nursing homes. She also hoped to persuade grandchildren to tap the wisdom and heritage their grandparents could provide. President Jimmy Carter, in 1978, proclaimed that National Grandparents Day would be celebrated every year on the first Sunday after Labor Day. For 2007, Grandparents Day falls on Sept. 9th..
.
We had a glorious service at church this morning. With Sunday School back in full swing, our attendance was higher than the average summer Sunday attendance, and the hymns sounded as if everyone were singing very enthusiastically. I sat between two opera singers in the choir and tried to absorb some of their talent through osmosis. If I suddenly break out in a Madame Butterfly aria, I'll be sure to let you know.



Lunch at Amerigo's with Pam and Jean was very enjoyable, as always. We had a "great minds think alike" occasion with all of us dressing in black and white without any of us knowing what the others were wearing. That happens in our choir sometimes, too, when most of the women show up wearing lime green or a red/black combination or something else, all uncommonly similar. Is there a mischievous little fashion-conscious angel that flies around whispering in everybody's ear? Or is it just plain old-fashioned coincidence?
.
This was the 3rd Sunday for Pam and Jean to attend. I still don't know if they're planning to become members, but it's looking more promising with every Sunday they come. Jean asked me what book the New Testament reading was from (she didn't recognize it). Our reader called it FILLY-mohn (Philemon), which also caused all the former Baptists in our choir to cast frowns around to each other, there are several of us. "That's not what we called it in the Baptist church, is it?" I whispered to my neighbor on the left.
.
"No! It's Phi-LEE-mohn," she whispered back, emphatically.
.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who learned that pronounciation. Jean was impressed that I knew it was a one chapter book toward the end of the NT. Try as I might, I could not come up with the before and after books.
.
Ah me! Not only am I not as smart as a fifth grader, I could also be beat soundly by most Baptist Bible Drillers. Baptists do still have Bible drills, don't they?
.
Molly closed today's service with the Franciscan blessing that is one of my favorites:
.
May God bless you with a restless discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships so that you may live deep within your heart.
.
May God bless you with holy anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation, so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.
.
May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, or the loss of all they cherish, so that you may reach out your hand to them and turn their pain into joy.
.
May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.
.
And the blessing of God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit be upon you, and all you love and pray for this day and forever more. Amen.

No comments: