Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sometimes my horoscope makes me laugh out loud. Today's was one of those: Sagittarius Horoscope for Jul 31 2007 Sun is in Leo, Moon is going from Aquarius into Pisces. It always helps if you really know what you're talking about. This means extra effort. Yes, you do have to do the homework.

Just this week-end, several of us at the reunion were lamenting the amount of homework we had in the 4th grade. Mrs. Gooch, who taught us, attended the reunion (shown here in the pink pants and floral blouse), and Freddy Grant greeted her, as he's done his whole adult life, as "the meanest white woman in Lee County." She laughed good naturedly about it, still showing no remorse for the suffering she imposed on us as children.
.
George's class had the misfortune of having her in the 4th grade and 5th grade. If I'd known she would go from 4th to 5th grade with our class, I would have cried all summer. When Ricky and Benji had her at Lawhon, she was still just as hard as she ever was. I almost kept Benji out of the gifted class because I knew with her as his primary 5th grade teacher, he didn't need anything extra to do. She appeared to be in good spirits and she knew just about everybody who spoke to her.
.
The lady in the purple sweater who is speaking to her, Niecy Grant, is another Senior whose mental faculties have not diminished with age. She's still as smart and funny as she always was. I sat across from her Friday night at dinner and we enjoyed a lively conversation.
.
Another person pictured here is Johnny Repult, one of the 4 men my age I saw whose looks have definitely improved with age. The others were Freddy, John Alan Estes, and Scotty West. It hardly seems fair how men get to look distinguished with their gray hair and women of the same age think they have to depend on bottled hair color not to look old. If enough of us called gray hair "beautiful", maybe we could reverse this trend? I don't cover my gray, but I don't worry much about looking young, either. I still attract plenty of flirtatious once-overs, which gives my ego regular boosts, and in turn, makes me feel much younger than I am.
.
Now what was this about homework?

No comments: