Tuesday, July 03, 2007

After many more hours than I intended to spend, the kitchen floor mat is finished. There are numerous spots I'd paint differently if I had a do-over, but I've promised myself not to tackle anything this large again for a long time. It was a messy, awkward process and I have a new understanding of the high price tags I saw in the gift shop where I got my inspiration. Much like the fireplace screens I built and painted, the material is inexpensive, but the labor is very time-consuming. I would not give these items to anyone unless I knew for sure they would be appreciated. They aren't works of perfection, the flaws and mistakes are too easy to spot, but they are originals, and they're valuable to me. I'm not to the point of wanting to mass produce and market them. I usually get tired of the projects before I finish, so I'm ready to move to something entirely different.

The second picture shows the wallpaper border in the kitchen from which I selected the colors.

Dubya seems determined to go lower in the popularity polls than any president in the history of our country. Giving Libby a get out of jail free card has angered folks in both parties. The albatross around the necks of the Republican candidates gets heavier as a win for the Democrats gets easier. The revelations that will come from this corrupt administration once it's over will be fodder for several best sellers. As Joe Wilson says, "Nothing surprises me anymore." Keith Olberman's Special Comment should be rich tonight. That's on MSNBC at 7 pm CST for you Fox fans.

I hope everyone enjoys their 4th of July. Mike and I are planning to eat BBQ at Corky's, our tradition since Gridley's closed. And Happy 3rd Anniversary to Benji and Karen.

No comments: