Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Only about 30 hours until I can eat solid food again, yeah! The fast actually started at 6 pm last night, not sure where I got the 24 hour idea. I've never been so thankful for jello, broth and popsicles. Jello has some flavors that are new to me - pineapple and peach, and they are delicious. It's been a long time since I made jello. There were several juices in the store I'd not tried; my favorite is the white grape and peach combo.

I have a new respect for people who fast as a regular part of their spiritual discipline or health routine. With just a few clicks, my online research of fasting led to something else that was new to me - The Esoteric Teachings of Jesus and the Nazarene Essenes. Fascinating stuff, especially the Essene Gospels of Peace, more there than I can easily digest.

Here's the link to their teachings on fasting, an ancient (and effective) remedy for all kinds of ills. http://www.thenazareneway.com/index_fasting.htm Wonder why we don't hear much about it except from our New Age Health Nut friends? I don't think it's because we're "fasting in secret," as Jesus advised. America's health care crisis, especially concerning obesity, attests to that.

"And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

No comments: