Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Last night's rest was spoiled by a terrible case of heebie-jeebies. I was very sleepy and went to bed early, but the longer I lay there, the more keyed up I got. Rather than Restless Leg Syndrome, I had Restless Body Syndrome. If I could have escaped my skin, I would have. Since I missed my afternoon nap, and got very little sleep last night, I'm extremely tired today. I drank an extra Diet Dr. Pepper while out with Mike, maybe it was just too much caffeine.

Dr. Tipton was pleased with Mike's improved stats, he's even lost 10 lbs. since his last visit. He wrote new prescriptions for physical and occupational therapy. Our insurance still has not paid for his last round of therapy, not sure what the hold-up is, but we need to get that settled before beginning a new course. Thank goodness for our insurance! In March, he will qualify for Medicare, we've got to get that paperwork done, too. There's never an end to TCB, as Elvis called it.

Mike's disposition has greatly improved since he quit alcohol. He's lost his temper a couple of times, but self-control has been much easier to manage since Mr. Hyde was banished. My satisfaction level with our relationship has risen significantly, too. Greener pastures are not beckoning me like they were. Thank you, Lord.

Alexandra Pelosi, daughter of our Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, has done a documentary for HBO called "Friends of God." It's about the Evangelical Republicans and how they have influenced politics in our nation. According to conservative Republican Joe Scarborough last night, it's a piece of fair and balanced reporting and airs on Jan 25.

The part that intrigued me was that she chose the Rev. Ted Haggard as her tour guide through this red state phenomenom because he seemed more reasonable and moderate than some of the others. That was before his downfall, of course, but he made a point of telling Ms. Pelosi that "evangelical marriages have more sex than non-evangelical marriages. We have a lot of love to give." I wonder if the man who outed him would agree with that. I understand he's borne the brunt of blame in Pastor Ted's failure.

This is the day we Episcopalians remember Phillips Brooks, famous preacher and patriot in the 19th century, best known as author of the Christmas carol "O Little Town of Bethlehem." One of his more famous quotes: Do not pray for easy lives, but pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers, but pray for power equal to your tasks. Then the accomplishing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be a miracle. Every day you shall wonder at yourself and the richness of life which has come to you by the grace of God.

But one of my favorite quotes of his is this:

Orthodoxy is, in the Church, very much what prejudice is in the single mind. It is the premature conceit of certainty. It is the treatment of the imperfect as if it were the perfect.

... Phillips Brooks (1835-1893)

No comments: