Monday, December 11, 2006

It's 10:30 on Sunday night, and I'm still up and faced with a dilemma. Mike went to Jon's this afternoon and got drunk, had to be brought home and carried upstairs by Jon and Greenhill. They physically hauled him out of Jon's house into Greenhill's SUV, then into our house and dumped him in the bed like the dead weight he was. He wasn't passed out, but he couldn't stand up or walk, and he tried to resist their help, saying he had to pee.

Before they left, he tried to get out of bed and go to the bathroom, but fell in the floor. Again they lifted him back into bed. Jon threatened to whip his ass if he didn't stay in the bed.

After they left, I gave him the urinal and told him to use it, but not to get out of the bed. He kept trying to get up. I wrapped the cover around his feet so he couldn't put them on the floor. With flailing arms and legs, he kicked me in the face with his right foot, and landed a couple of punches on my right arm and right leg, but I finally got them wrapped. I tucked a folded hand towel inside his underwear in case his bladder started draining. Everything I said or did angered him, so he cursed me and threatened to beat me several times.

After a couple of hours of trying to keep him in the bed (he still had not peed, but kept saying he had to), I left to get some water to drink. While I was downstairs, I heard him hit the floor. He cursed and beat the floor and the wall with his fist. I called Art. Together, the two of us got him back in the bed. For about 30 minutes he slept. He's up again trying to urinate, but can't. At least he's trying to use the urinal this time. It's 11:00.

He took a fifth of whiskey and a 12 pack of beer with him to Jon's. I told him that it was not shaping up to be a healthy afternoon with that kind of alcohol available. He said he would drink 2 beers and stop with that. He planned to attend our Lessons and Carols service at church at 5:30, he said. The whiskey was supposedly a Christmas present for Jon and Trish.

Trish called while we were rehearsing, saying that Jon would drive Mikey home and she would follow them. He was in no shape to drive or attend church, she said. After church, I had another message from her saying they could not get him on his feet and had called Greenhill to come help. I offered to get a couple of the guys at church to come help carry him. Jon and Greenhill said they could do it without any more help.

Should I call 911? Get an ambulance to carry him to the hospital? If he's violent and irrational, he's a danger to himself and others. The hospital may be the best place for him. Unless his doctors tell him that he has to stop drinking, he's going to keep on with this self-destructive behavior. Stroke patients cannot drink like he's been drinking and not suffer serious consequences. If he falls in the floor one more time, I'm calling an ambulance.

After they got him to the house, Trish told me that he had drunk most of the whiskey. It's 11:40 and he's begging again for his quad-cane so he can walk to the bathroom. It's going to be a long night.

No comments: