Thursday, December 07, 2006

I'm fasting for the 8:30 doctor appointment. Rather than stay downstairs watching Mike eat breakfast, I retreated to my office. The dogs are puzzled by the disruption in our routine, especially the part when I share my food with them. This is supposed to be a GMAB (give me a break) day, but I'm not feeling the need for it this morning like I was yesterday.

12:00 Noon. The doc's scales showed a 16 lb weight loss and my BP was 125/70. He was really proud of me; I was, too. When he asked how I did it, I told him it was the PODO diet, Power of Doctor's Orders, which he thought was the best joke he's heard in a while. He was glad to see that I still have my sense of humor, he said, even tho that ole cuss I live with is driving me crazy.

He plans to talk to Mike about the emotional outbursts the next time he comes in because there are meds that can help that. Taking regular breaks from the hostility that sometimes permeates our atmosphere is a good coping mechanism, also support groups, he advised. Joint counseling with Dr. Irby would also be good, he suggested. A professional should be monitoring the mood swings, especially if alcohol is involved. It's not healthy for him to drink as much as he's been drinking lately.

No comments: