Sunday, November 19, 2006

Gus is feeling much better today. His appetite has been good and he romped in the sun with Jay-Jay for about 30 minutes after I returned home from church. Dogs and cats both seem to know instinctively that time and rest are what's required for a bug to run its course. They shut down almost completely, not doing anything much but sleeping. We humans could learn from them.

We've got a gorgeous day here in Central Mississippi. It's 55* with clear skies and fall color is peaking like it usually does for Thanksgiving. I love this season of the year. I feel like all 8 of my cylinders are engaged, instead of the 4, and sometimes 6, that work in the summertime.

Tom preached a good sermon this morning, which included poking fun at the Republicans who are telling everybody to "be afraid, be very afraid," since the Democrats won the last election. He even sang the "Gloom, despair and agony on me ..." song from Hee-Haw. Our readings today were mostly about end times with dire apocoplyptic warnings. Not all of the Republicans were amused. The Bishop worshipped with us today and I noticed him laughing, which I was glad to see. I also was relieved to learn that our church's Mission Statement will not be revised. One of our anthems today was what David has affectionately dubbed "the Sprite song," written by Thomas Campion. At one of our rehearsals he raised a 2 liter bottle of Sprite at the end. We are an irreverant bunch sometimes.

Never weather-beaten sail more willing bent to shore,
never tired pilgrims limbs affected slumber more,
than my weary sprite now longs to fly out of my troubled breast:
O come quickly, sweetest Lord, and take my soul to rest!

Ever blooming are the joys of heaven’s high paradise,
cold age deafs not there our ears nor vapor dims our eyes:
glory there the sun out-shines; whose beams the blessed only see:
O come quickly, glorious Lord, and raise my sprite to thee!

No comments: