Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sagittarius, August 24, 2006. The Sun is in Virgo, Moon is in Virgo. It doesn't get much worse than this. A pedant is driving you crazy. You will survive this horrible annoyance. Keep the faith.

Horoscopes amuse me, there's usually enough truth in them to give me pause, but not enough for serious concern. Pedants are usually very annoying to me, but I haven't been bothered by one lately, thank goodness! Maybe my sister is planning to bug me about something in her most pedantic manner. She hasn't done that lately, she's outgrown most of it. If that's the worst I have to endure, I'm truly blessed.

Speaking of outgrowing things, I read an interesting comment from the House of Bishops/Deputies e-mail message board about the developmental crisis that a lot of us baby boomers are beginning to face. According to one deputy, we're at the point where "the promises of youth have not quite panned out, neither the idealism nor the dreams. Bodies betray and the realization that most of one's life is behind them results in either an ennui that isolates or bursts of energy to finish the important work of one's life." He goes on to say that we can either "become chronic personalities or gracefully become wise elders." It boils down to the choices we make.

But it's always been about the choices we make, from one developmental stage to the next. We are where we are because of the choices we have made. My natural inclination is to go toward the chronic personality, I've been accused of that when I complain about my foibles. But is that really the way I want to be remembered? And does it really have to be all one way or the other?

Becoming anything gracefully has not really been my forte. Seems I get from one stage to the next by more external pressure than internal, with much kicking and screaming along the way. I have gained some wisdom, and I'm fast becoming elderly, but I doubt that anyone will consider me a "wise elder" anytime soon, if ever. It still bothers me to know that that's what is expected of my generation.

Ah, well, I'll save this crisis for another day. I have more important things to do today, like get my nails done.

No comments: