Thursday, May 04, 2006

Paul is a Papaw! Harlee Brighton Johnson born May 3, 2006 to Vance and Bethany Johnson, 7 lbs, 9 oz, 20" long. What will her nickname be? Mo-Ped, Sunshine, Scooter?
Welcome to the world of Cutie Pies, Brother!



My mother is made of sturdy stuff. She sailed thru surgery without any trouble, came back to the room wide awake, complaining about the oxygen tube in her nose and the compression stockings on her legs. She claims to have no pain and has no idea what happened to her today. Her right breast tissue was removed and the skin was grafted back in place. The mass in her back is pressing on her spinal cord and if it gets much bigger may paralyze her. She may be bedridden from now on, but she may get back to her wheelchair after she recovers from the surgery. The oncologist Dr. Patel finally admitted that if she were his mother, he would put her in hospice and try to make her comfortable in the time she has left. Paul came in time to get his assessment, so I didn't have to remember everything he said. Betsy called and said she would be there later. Paul agreed to stay and let me come home.

I took fresh flowers for her when I went in this morning. When I asked if she liked them, she said she didn't. "What's that hanging over the side there?" she demanded. "It's baby's breath," I told her. "Baby's bread, hrmph!" she groused. We went through this 3 or 4 times. When the nurse brought medicine mixed in applesauce, she acted so rude I was almost embarrassed.

Paul said Bethany's doctor got tired of waiting for contractions and talked her into a C-section. Little Harlee was born about 7:30 last night at 7 lbs+, with a headfull of black hair and olive complexion. Bethany's sister insulted all the Johnson redheads with, "Thank God she doesn't have red hair!" Maybe she learned manners at the same place Mother did. I think she may be jealous of Deanne who is a lot prettier than she is, red hair and all.

1 comment:

Zoilus said...

Oh my GAWD! I can't believe how horrid some people are. Karen and I were none too impressed with Bethany's breeding, either, so maybe it runs in the family (as they say).

Anyway, when do we get pix of our newest cousin?