Tuesday, April 04, 2006

O God:
Give me strength to live another day;
Let me not turn coward before its difficulties or prove recreant to its duties;
Let me not lose faith in other people;
Keep me sweet and sound of heart, in spite of ingratitude, treachery, or meanness;
Preserve me from minding little stings or giving them;
Help me to keep my heart clean, and to live so honestly and fearlessly that no outward failure can dishearten me or take away the joy of conscious integrity;
Open wide the eyes of my soul that I may see good in all things;
Grant me this day some new vision of thy truth;
Inspire me with the spirit of joy and gladness;
and make me the cup of strength to suffering souls;
in the name of the strong Deliverer, our only Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. AMEN

I will try this day to live a simple, sincere and serene life, repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement, impurity, and self-seeking; cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity, and the habit of holy silence; exercising economy in expenditure, generosity in giving, carefulness in conversation, diligence in appointed service, fidelity to every trust, and a childlike faith in God.
In particular I will try to be faithful in those habits of prayer, work, study, physical exercise, eating, and sleep which I believe the Holy Spirit has shown me to be right.
And as I cannot in my own strength do this, nor even with a hope of success attempt it, I look to thee, O Lord God my Father, in Jesus my Savior, and ask for the gift of the Holy Spirit. AMEN

These are the prayers we use every morning with our Bible readings. The first is For Today and the second is A Morning Resolve. They are in our devotional book, Forward Day by Day. It gives me something to work toward and points out my shortcomings in no uncertain terms.

I'm taking Mike to the gym this morning. He's lost his glasses, so we've got to backtrack his Monday route and try to find them. He can't drive without them.

6:24pm. We were out all day. I took the dogs to get baths, took Mike to the gym, we ate lunch at No. 1 China Buffet, picked up the 1099 from Coldwell Banker, then went to the mall and got new glasses for Mike at Eyemasters. With the rental income info, we finished the tax return. As soon as Mike sat down at his desk and picked up the tax work sheets, he found his glasses. So now he has a spare pair. I can't believe I didn't double check his desk when he told me, "No, I never wear them upstairs. If they are in the house, they are downstairs." Oh well, maybe I needed a reminder why I was so relieved to give up the chauffer job last summer.

No comments: