Friday, January 30, 2009

Well, lookey here! Will wonders never cease! This has got to be some kind of cosmic joke on the racist good ole boys who have grumbled ever since Obama won the election. The RNC has elected Michael Steele as the president of the GOP. What are these GOBs of the GOP gonna do with all their epithets? I mean, who are they going to use them on now? They have a black man as the head of their party!

I had another of those GOBs as a visitor in my home today and had to just about bite my tongue into to keep from inviting him to leave. He was so upset about the election that he said he's considering moving to Costa Rica. I almost offered to help him pack, but didn't. So this unexpected news from the RNC just made my day. I had to laugh out loud when I heard it. More than once. I'm still laughing.

I know most Republicans are not racists, but the only ones I've encountered (up close and personal) lately are as bigoted as any I've ever known. They are stuck in the 50's and 60's with their John Birch daddies and haven't adjusted to the idea that white guys don't control everything anymore. They resent civil rights and women's rights, and try to dress it up in Christian piety, which makes me gag. Is there any hope that they will ever learn tolerance and respect and the benefits of diversity?

I just think the whole thing looks like another case of "me-tooism." The Democrats had a strong candidate and campaigner in Hillary Clinton, so what did they do? Go to Alaska and get Sarah Palin. Hey, she wears a skirt! What's the difference?

The Democrats run a strong African-American candidate who actually wins with a healthy majority, so they pick the only Republican African-American to have held elected office to run their party. Looks like desperate tokenism to me.

I'm sorry, but this tickled my funny bone.

No comments: