Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mike had another dizzy spell this morning, same symptoms as yesterday, so this time the nurse called and said he needed to be seen by his cardiologist. I took him to St. Dominic's ER where they found multiple blood clots in his lungs and one in his right leg. Tonight they did a surgical procedure to place an IVC filter in his lungs, which will prevent a clot from going to his heart or his brain. Not sure what they will do about the one in his leg.

They knew there was a risk of this when they stopped his Coumadin after the fall, but they didn't start another anti-coagulant therapy because they didn't want the brain injuries to start bleeding again, one of those "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situations.

He tolerated the minor surgery well without anesthesia. Since no one told us he shouldn't eat tonight, and since he had not had any food since breakfast and was very hungry, I ordered a tray of food for him, after they got him checked into his room. An hour later, the night nurse comes in and says, "Oh, you shouldn't have eaten. They want to do surgery tonight and if I give you anesthesia, it will make you very nauseated. So we can do it without anesthesia, or we can wait until in the morning, it's up to you, but the doctor thinks we need to do it tonight."

I couldn't believe it! I mean, what kind of choice is that? He elected to do it without anesthesia when the nurse described it as uncomfortable, rather than painful. Made me wish I hadn't been so "helpful" in ordering dinner for him.

We still need your prayers.

My painter called yesterday to make a deal about the walls I didn't get done, so I told him to come back and do them. He says he can be finished by noon on Friday. I've also decided to replace the old, ragged mini-blinds with new wide-slat blinds. He said he would install those for me, too. As my grandmother often said: When a job is once begun, never leave it 'til it's done. Be it great or be it small, do it well or not at all.

The Deedo in me will be much better satisfied with the complete job, rather than the half-assed one.

No comments: