Friday, January 23, 2009

I wish I could wake up in the morning with a burning desire to do nothing but clean house, and enough focused energy to stick with it until it's done. Today I got as far as getting dishes loaded into the dishwasher before I was distracted and off in a different direction. That's the way it usually is with me. So today I hired a housecleaning service. Knowing they will be here Tuesday morning will make me do something with the clutter between now and then.

Mike is still in the bed, listless, debilitated, weak. I talked with the nurse at our doctor's office today, and she said he wasn't supposed to be trying to climb stairs at all. I was trying to get them to authorize nursing assistance from a home health agency, and she did say he would send someone to do a medical evaluation, but I didn't understand who or when. With it being Friday, it probably won't happen until next week.

He only climbed the stairs on Saturday and Sunday, and he's been in his bed ever since. If the doctor told me to keep him downstairs, I missed it. What I remember is his saying he should be able to do it, if he were able to do it before his fall. I don't think I imagined that. I remember mentioning that the hospital bed is still here, but what I didn't say is that it's in about 20 pieces and I wouldn't have any idea how to put it together. I also remember telling him that all the bedrooms and full baths are upstairs.

Things like this make me feel totally incompetent and crazy. I was trying so hard to pay attention to everything the doctor said. Did I get his instructions confused? Maybe I should have insisted on written instructions. Well, it's too late now.

I did get renters for the townhouse today, a couple from Pensacola. They went so far as to pay a deposit, so it looks like they were serious. That would be a huge load off my mind. Staying solvent ain't easy with a 3 month vacancy. The man was sold on the location when he crossed the spillway and saw all the fishermen below the dam. Let's hope everything turns out good when I check their references, something else that will have to wait until Monday. Cross your fingers.

No comments: