Friday, October 17, 2008

One of the things I"ve decided to do between now and Election Day is to cut down on the amount of political coverage I've been consuming daily from TV, internet, newspapers and magazines. I tend to get a little obsessive about these things and realized a political fast might be in order.

I'm glad I didn't decide to go cold turkey, otherwise, I would have missed the hilarious speeches given by McCain and Obama at last night's Alfred E. Smith Memorial Dinner, a fund-raiser for Catholic Charities, which was held at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC. If you missed all the jokes and, like me, need something that will make you smile and "lighten up," be sure to go to the C-Span Video Library and watch the 51 minute clip. It's free and well worth the time.

I wish we had seen more of this particular John McCain in the campaign, but then he would not have been trailing Obama like he is. Maybe it's best that his better side has been in hiding, and his curmudgeon is the one who has been most in evidence. Obama delivered some zingers at this affair, a lot of them directed at himself. He has the poise and charm of a natural performer. Won't it be nice to have someone representing us who is not an embarrassment to the whole nation?

No comments: