Tuesday, June 17, 2008

In my recent study of Jungian psychology, as it relates to dream interpretation, I was reminded that I am the INFP type, which means the Introverted, iNtuitive, feeling, perceiving type. (Here's another explanation for the INFP.) I was particularly struck by this statement:

INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP is wont to have pity.

It reminded me of all the grief I caught for defending Obama's former pastor. Renouncing the pastor was difficult for me until he so directly offended my candidate that he, too, reluctantly cut ties with the man. Still Obama (and I) perceived the pastor to be a sad spectacle, but still worthy of compassion and sympathy. The dichotomy of a person who is capable of doing much good is that he can also do more harm than most. I still think the man had some sort of psycho-spiritual breakdown and needs help.

I was also reminded that INFP's have a natural inclination toward absent- mindedness and other-worldliness, which probably explains some of my difficulty with concentrating and finishing things that I start. After all, this world is not my home, I'm just apassin' thru... (LaRue, you may be the only one to get that. For the rest of you, here are the lyrics and here is Jim Reeves singing it.) How's that for other-worldliness!

The book I'm reading, one chapter per night, is Dreams: God's Forgotten Language by John Sanford. I read it about 18 years ago before I retired and got really frustrated because I didn't have time to work on my dreams. Well, now I don't have that excuse, and I'm finding once again that it really does take a lot of work. It's fascinating work, but it's hard work. If my blog posts become less frequent, it's because I'm doing my "other-worldly" thing.

No comments: