Sunday, May 18, 2008

You're not going to believe this, but I filled up with gas in Grenada, set the cruise control on 58 mph, and when I got back home, the gas gauge is still on full! I know the tank is not full, but that's a 110 mile trip! I should go fill up again and see exactly how much I used. OK, I did (the nearest gas station is less than a mile from my house) and I used 3.735 gal which works out to be about 29.5 mpg. Pretty good for a little '01 Buick Regal, don't you think? Of course, I got passed by everything including an ancient Winnebago belching black smoke and an air-conditioned John Deere tractor!

I read somewhere that if everybody dropped their average highway speed to 55 MPH, this nation would use over 1 billion barrels less oil per year. If we did that voluntarily, how long do you think it would be before we would have a buyer's market rather than a seller's market? Think about it!

It will never catch on, I know. I had to get to 60 years old before I got concerned about my lead foot. As wasteful as it is, we're addicted to speed, aren't we?

I got a very happy little 3 year old reunited with his family today. Benji said he got excited when they pulled in at his house, he was so glad to be home. There are some gorgeous vacation photos on Benji's Flickr site. They brought me a cross pendant made of larimar, a wonderful blue Caribbean gem, which is only found in the Dominican Republic. I love it! Thanks, Y'all!

No comments: