Friday, April 25, 2008

At the risk of stirring up that hornet nest again, I'm going to ask that all who read this blog please take the time to watch the 55 minute interview of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright by Bill Moyers on PBS, if you haven't already seen it. Talk about a high-tech lynching! This man has been so vilified. I'm embarrassed, no, I'm ashamed to admit that I caved into pressure by one of my friends and said he might be right about Obama's pastor. At least, it stopped the arguing for a while.

Ever since 9/11 happened, I've been concerned about well-meaning Christians who bow to the god of nationalism. Some of the so-called patriotism I've heard expressed is simply idolatrous. I'm as patriotic as any American, but I don't believe our nation is perfect, or that we owe blind allegiance to it. I also don't believe that the wearing of a flag lapel pin is a true indication of anyone's patriotism, any more than the wearing of a cross on a necklace symbolizes a person's devotion to Christ.

I attended the funeral today of "Bubba" Fowler. He and his wife Dot were some of our sweetest encouragers after Mike had his stroke. From his obituary: He served his country faithfully during World War II, taking part in the June 6th D-Day invasion and the Battle of the Bulge. Dr. Fowler was in the 2nd Armored Division and served under General George S. Patton. He also served in the 1st Army under General Omar Bradley. Dr. Fowler fought in 5 campaigns in the European Theatre of Operations and earned a Bronze Arrow Head, a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star. He retired from the Mississippi National Guard, obtaining the rank of Colonel.

The funeral was at our former church St. Peter's By-the-Lake, so I volunteered to sing with the choir. It was a moving service, but until I heard the trumpet playing "Taps" and the flag being handed to his widow, my tears didn't flow. Something about the reality of what that "greatest generation" went through has always stirred my emotions. If Bubba ever wore a flag lapel pin, it was backed up by lots of sacrificial devotion, and it stood for more than most flag pin wearers can claim.

Yes, I love this country, but it's not perfect, uncommonly blessed, but not perfect. I believe Jeremiah Wright loves this country, too, but he doesn't worship it. Watch the interview.

1 comment:

Zoilus said...

There's quite a gap between the people of our nation, and our government. It's fine to love our country and detest the people who are running it (mostly at the behest of corporate America).