Saturday, December 08, 2007

Welcome, new readers, to this little corner of the blogosphere where I think out loud. It's all about me! ME! ME! And what makes each of my days different from the rest. As Alan Alda's new book says, Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself (isn't that a great title). Yes, I sometimes toot my own horn and sing my own praise, and why people continue to read this blog is still a mystery to me, but I'm averaging 15 hits per day, mostly from family members and friends. I consider each hit a friendly little "hello," and when certain visitors don't show up, I go looking for them. I understand from a couple of readers that it's a great cure for insomnia. Every once in a while a stranger wanders in after googling something like NPR or Plantersville or Buick. Don't ask me why. Cyberspace is a truly unique place. I don't get nearly as much feedback as I'd like, so feel free to tell me what you really think; and if you have a lot to say, perhaps you should start your own blog, but be warned - it's addictive!

With my latest "get out of jail free" pass, I went to the Manship House with the St. Philip's choir and sang Christmas carols. Afterwards, we all went to the Mayflower Restaurant downtown and had dinner. Mike went to Captain's Catch in Madison to hear Tony play. He had dinner with the Greenhills, then spent the night with them after they decided his driving would not be safe. Thanks, friends, for keeping him at your house and not letting your friend drive drunk!
.
Today I went to a photo workshop where I learned more about my simple little point-and-shoot camera than I knew, especially about adjusting the ISO. It really does make a difference. And it helps to think of it as film speed. John Wise and Jim Carrington led the class and challenged us to read our camera's manual, get familiar with all its features, and make lots of pictures over the Christmas holidays. We're meeting again next month to show off our best shots.
.
My little Kodak EasyShare C643 survived its first drop this week, even though I lost the cover for the end where the card and USB slot are. Maybe I can keep the dust out of it long enough to get some good holiday shots. And it has way more features than I'll ever master. Now you know why I don't want an expensive camera. I killed an expensive Olympus 35mm by dropping it. I'm way too clumsy to be trusted with another expensive toy.
.
I told a story at the workshop that I've discovered, thanks to Google, to be a total fabrication, maybe I dreamed it, or I forgot who the subject of the story was. Contrary to what I told, Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg did have a professional photographer for her wedding pictures, Denis Reggie.
.
Some famous person, though, used their guests' pictures made with disposable cameras for their wedding pictures. There was a whole magazine spread with some fantastic pictures by amateur photographers. I didn't dream it. If anyone is familiar with this story, please tell me who it was. The point of the article was that expensive equipment is not necessary for great shots. It's the artist's eye that matters. Just take a look at Benji's pictures, you'll understand. He gets fantastic shots with his camphone.
.
But it was not "Sweet Caroline." Sorry for the falsehood. It was not deliberate.

No comments: