Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's Friday night. I'm back at home after a good, but very uneventful trip, but the chaos of my homecoming made up for the lack of excitement up to that point. We picked up Gus on the way home from the airport. The bill for this 4-legged baby was only $936, a real bargain compared to what surgery and a 7 day stay in the hospital for the 2-legged kind cost.

He's still puny with a scar about 4 or 5 inches long, the length from his rib cage to his penis. He weighs almost 2 pounds less than he did, a serious weight loss for an 11 pound dog. His convalescent space here is the pack-n-play that was last occupied by Pip. He seems to enjoy being in it, protected from Jay-Jay's roughhousing, and within view of me at my desk. His appetite is good, but he can only have small meals, 5 a day, to keep his tummy from being distended. He's got an antibiotic to take, special food and nutritional supplements. My "free puppy" has inched his way into the very expensive class - the very rare, one-of-a-kind pughuahua.

Sat. a.m. Jay-Jay was wild with excitement when I arrived bearing a much less energetic Gus than he's used to. Mike says he's searched for Gus and me all week. He probably thinks we've been together the whole time, since we disappeared the same day and arrived home together. Yes, I believe my dogs are capable of thinking. I know he seemed awfully glad to see us both. He slept with Mike last night and I spent the night in the "sick puppy room," AKA the guest bedroom. This morning he's sleeping on the guest bed helping me keep an eye on Gus.

Mike seemed glad to have me back home for about five minutes, and lost no time in reverting to his "old grouch" personae. He said he hasn't lost his temper the whole time I was gone, so once again I'm wondering if we're bringing out the worst in each other instead of the best. It sure seems that way to me.

The first call I made when I got home was to the carpet cleaner who couldn't come until Monday afternoon. The stench in a couple of rooms is almost as bad as the stains. I've done some cleaning, but most of it will have to be removed by the pros. Since Jay-Jay didn't get to go out as often as when I'm home, he added to the mess of Gus's bloody vomit stains. Yuk! No wonder Mike was making inquiries about having it cleaned before I got home.

I've got pictures to post from my trip but my camera's software seems to have been corrupted somehow since I used it last. Maybe if I uninstall and reinstall it I can get it to work. This and several other problems tell me I need to get my butt in gear. First order of business - take something for this headache!

No comments: