Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Yes, exercise works, but so do extra calories consumed from all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants. After Sunday dinner at Western Sizzlin' and Monday at Ryan's, my scale showed me the error of my ways this morning. Ugh! How does someone who enjoys eating as much as I do stop enjoying it? There's no denying it, especially after I saw the picture Mike made - this size 12 mini-skirt wll look better when I am 20 lbs. lighter. Why do I look so much fatter in a photo than in my full length mirror? In it, I thought I looked like a groovy Gramma, but the picture, by contrast, looks like a happy hooker has-been. Oink! Oink! With apologies to my sons, it's not the first time your mother has embarrassed you and it probably won't be the last. I'm trying to motivate myself to stay away from places where I overeat. You'll have to admit, it's a nice tan.

==========================================

Election Day in Rankin County has a few Democrats on the ballot, but I'll probably wait until the general election to vote. Judge Pepper's voting restrictions don't go into effect until next year, so this is the last chance Mississippians have to cross over and vote for candidates of the other party. Unless his ruling is overturned by a higher court.

Today I'm mad at both parties. After the Democrats caved in to Bush's demand for the warrantless wiretapping bill, I'm sick of them all. I believe Benjamin Franklin was right when he said, "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." And to those who think it's helping to make us safer, I say BALONEY! To quote a cybernet wise man:

"...no terrorist attacks on U.S. soil since 9/11 makes me laugh. I haven’t seen any elephants in my backyard since I bought that anti-elephant spray from the guy with the slicked-back hair, either. It must be working!"

Just look at who New York City Police were spying on prior to the Republican convention:

Beyond potential troublemakers, those placed under surveillance included street theater companies, church groups, antiwar activists, environmentalists, and people opposed to the death penalty, globalization and other government policies.

If NYPD can do this, who wouldn't fall under the National Security dragnet?

In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up.

by Martin Niemoeller, a German protestant minister who was put in a concentration camp for opposing Nazi control of the church.

No comments: