Monday, August 06, 2007

Our liturgy at St. Philip's was very dry yesterday with no music, nada, zero! All the Mississippi musicians and a few of our choir members were at the final performance of the mass choir of last week's state music conference. Bruns called it "Music Appreciation Day," since, in its absence, everybody at St. Philip's felt a new appreciation for the richness that music adds to our service. We got out a full 30 minutes earlier than usual, which tells me that 1/3 of our service is music. If we abbreviated the hymns like other churches do, it wouldn't take as long, but I've never been in an Episcopal church that didn't sing every stanza to every song.
.

Betsy and I had lunch afterward at Western Sizzlin', then I went shopping. I bought something I haven't worn in years - a denim mini skirt. Since my legs have a respectable tan on them this year, I don't mind showing them. When I modeled it for Mike, he said it looked kinda "sixtyish", not sure if he meant 60 year old or 1960's, hopefully, the latter.
.
My pool pals told me this morning that they plan to check out a new Episcopal church which has been started downtown not far from the Cathedral. With just a little research I found it. St. Alexis was started last year as an informal alternative to our traditional style of worship. I can't imagine they would be comfortable in an evening service in a high crime area of Jackson with the Stewpot crowd. I probably should warn them, but my guess is they will never go once they find out where it is.
.
We got into a rare discussion of politics today, and once again, I'm in the minority. In Rankin County, you make friends with Republicans, or you have no friends. They are two of the more tolerable. They're actually a lot of fun to be around until they start poking fun at Democrats.

No comments: