Sunday, August 26, 2007

I love the images evoked by our Old Testament reading today, especially the watered garden:

.
Isaiah 58


9 If you remove the yoke from among you,
the pointing of the finger, the speaking of evil,
10 if you offer your food to the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the afflicted,
then your light shall rise in the darkness
and your gloom be like the noonday.
11 The LORD will guide you continually,
and satisfy your needs in parched places,
and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring of water,
whose waters never fail.
12 Your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt;
you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
you shall be called the repairer of the breach,
the restorer of streets to live in.
13 If you refrain from trampling the sabbath,
from pursuing your own interests on my holy day;
if you call the sabbath a delight
and the holy day of the LORD honorable;
if you honor it, not going your own ways,
serving your own interests, or pursuing your own affairs;
14 then you shall take delight in the LORD,
and I will make you ride upon the heights of the earth;
I will feed you with the heritage of your ancestor Jacob,
for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.


I was reminded of this passage when I went to visit my neighbor Jean after lunch. Her little courtyard is lush with greenplants, and a water fountain bubbles for the perfect finishing touch. I want to make her picture in it, but she insists she hates having her picture made. She had a pair of shoes she wanted to give me. They were a perfect fit, black Peau de Soie sandals with a medium heel, and from Talbot's, no less! I was flabbergasted! She's a real sweetheart.
.
She and her daughter Pam visited St. Philip's today and liked it - our church is beautiful, the kneeler is spaced exactly right, the temperature was perfect, the children were not disruptive, the readers were excellent, the homily was great...They were especially complimentary of our choir, our organist, and the music in general. Not many churches are blessed with as much talent as we have. I think they liked it well enough to come again, I hope so. Their only complaint was about the lengthy announcements, which are already on the worship committee's chopping block. In fact, I think today was the last day we'll hear them.
.
And our lunch at Amerigo's was delightful. Jean is obviously one of their favorite regular customers, there were several other regulars and employees who came by to speak, and our waitress was intent on giving us her best personal service. The Mimosa and the cheesecake were two extras I didn't need, but tremendously enjoyed.
.
Mike got to hear the Intangibles version of Mr. Mister's "Kyrie," and said they nailed it. He ate at Margarita's with Jon and Trish where several of the St. Philip's crowd were. He's had a nap since he got home, but I haven't. I think I will forgo that pleasure today. Art brought me his Sunday paper, so I'm planning to read that instead.

No comments: