Saturday, August 25, 2007

Beginning tomorrow, I'm drinking more water. Consider this:

Given that your brain is about 80% water, the first rule of brain nutrition is adequate water to hydrate your brain. Even slight dehydration can raise stress hormones which can damage your brain over time. Drink at least 84 ounces of water a day. It is best to have your liquids unpolluted with artificial sweeteners, sugar, caffeine, or alcohol. You can use herbal, non-caffeinated tea bags, such as raspberry or strawberry flavored, and make unsweetened iced tea. Green tea is also good for brain function as it contains chemicals that enhance mental relaxation and alertness.

I probably drink about 84 oz of water a day, but it's all "polluted." I have believed for a long time that stress hormones trigger overeating, for me anyway, so if increased water intake can keep the stress hormones down, that may help with calorie restriction. And I certainly want to keep the gray matter functioning properly. For more good brain nutrition info, read this.

Saturday was a busy day for me, cleaning house, shampooing carpets, etc. The idea that fleas may have made their way into my carpet probably motivated this sudden burst of energy for me. I hate those pesky little buggers and will do whatever I have to to prevent their taking up residence here. I didn't see any indication that they may already be here. I checked the dogs again and didn't see them there either.

Pam and Jean told me they're coming to St. Philip's tomorrow, and asked if I would like to have lunch with them afterward at Amerigo's. I told them I would. Mike is planning to go to his Intangible buddies' church, then have lunch with Jon. It should be an interesting day.

We got some much needed rain yesterday and today, bringing our late afternoon temps down to comfortable enough for sitting outdoors, very un-August-like. We're still way behind the normal average rainfall for the year, though, about 16". We could stand a monsoon month in Mississippi, for sure.

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!

No comments: