Saturday, August 18, 2007

I knew this music downloading would become an obsession and sure enough, it has. I've never had so much fun buying music. Being able to pick and choose, then listen to them in the order I want them is like the fulfillment of a dream I didn't even realize I had. One song reminds me of another; one artist leads to the next, and like a kid in a candy store, I've been darting around grabbing at least one of everything. It's like a gathering of old friends - Carole King, Carly Simon, James Taylor, BeeGees, Chicago, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, Aretha Franklin, Barbra Streisand, Etta James, Ray Charles, Barry White, the Hollies, Rod Stewart, Emmylou Harris, etc. I'm trying to pace myself and be discriminating, not bust the budget first thing. It's hard.
(Free clipart here.)

The other thing I've been enjoying lately is youtube, videos of anything that can be imagined, and some never imagined, by me anyway. The best part is it's free! The quality among them is very inconsistent, but other than that it's great entertainment. Seeing live performances of favorite musicians doing favorite songs, it doesn't get any better, does it? When I figure out how to put a playlist together for public sharing, I'll post the link.

My apologies to those of you for whom this is nothing new. My world has been enlarged by these discoveries, and I'm excited by all the possibilities that have suddenly opened up before me. Being able to listen to my favorite songs, read the lyrics (something I've never understood well), and then read articles about the artist and/or songwriter simultaneously is better than any TV show. If you haven't mastered these abilities, I encourage you to try them. If a technophobe like me can do it, anybody can. Really!

No comments: