Friday, May 18, 2007

Ascension Day Evensong music went better than I expected last night. I'm still not sure how that happens. It has to be that Power Greater Than Ourselves, God's Grace, the Holy Spirit. We had so many rough spots in rehearsal, but none in performance, well, there was a half-way rough place in one song, but I'd still give the overall effort an A. The congregation outnumbered the choir by 2, sad but true. I've come to believe that most of our supporters are the spirits of the dearly departed, you know, those in the next room.

Death is nothing at all... I have only slipped away into the next room... I am I, and you are you... Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way you always used. Put no difference into your tone; wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without effect, without ghost of a shadow on it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was; there is absolutely unbroken continuity. Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner... All is well.

by Henry Scott Holland, Oxford Professor of Divinity

This sweet sentiment was given to me after Mother died, along with a small book, "Words on Strength and Perseverance." Praying for the dead is not something I was brought up doing, but Episcopalians do it without a second thought. I actually like the practice; since we continue to love them, why not pray for God to continue to bless them, or to tell them we love and miss them, or to thank them for all they meant to us? Extemporaneous praying is rarely done in public, however, so most of this is done in private prayers, since it is of a very personal nature.

Thanks to Rick, we have this news from Tampa: We're all looking forward to the end of school - next Thursday. Little League baseball is over except for closing ceremonies which is tomorrow. There is a possibility that Cooper made the All-Star team which means he'll be playing in the LL district and regional tournaments. We already have AAU State tournament starting next weekend, so it could get to be a very busy 3-4 weeks.

The puppies are getting bigger everyday. Ginny, the little bottle-fed girl, is still with us and seems to be unaware of the gap that's ever-increasing between her and her brothers/sister. She still hasn't hit a pound yet (12.5 ounces this morning). Hagrid, the "big 'un", is over 3 pounds now. The other three are right around 2-2.4 pounds.

No comments: