Monday, April 02, 2007

When I opened the front door for the dogs this morning, I was immediately struck by the beauty of lush spring growth in my yard. I don't have a carefully landscaped garden of flowers, just average shrubbery, grass, and 3 potted rose bushes, but after yesterday's rain, they were rejoicing, so thankful for that much needed thirst-quenching water. The whole scene was softened by a heavy fog, which lent an other-worldly charm to this surreal vision. It reminded me of Ireland.

It also reminded me of a line from one of yesterday's readings from Luke 19: 39 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, order your disciples to stop." 40 He answered, "I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out."

If stones can shout, then vegetation can rejoice, right?

We made our Palm Sunday procession through the parking lot singing All Glory, Laud, and Honor without getting wet. Our 10:30 starting time was bracketed by showers, 5 minutes before and 10 minutes afterward. Every Sunday has its miracles, but that was the one most obvious to me. The second most obvious miracle to me was that the choir got through Salvator Mundi by Thomas Tallis without a train wreck. I was singing Alto 1 on this particular piece and we got off track badly in a couple of spots, but Mike said it was beautiful. He didn't hear any chords that were discordant, he said, and he usually has a good ear for that.

Latin text:
Salvator mundi, salva nos;
qui per crucem et sanguinem redemisti nos,
auxiliare nobis, te deprecamur, Deus noster.

English translation:
Savior of the world, save us,
who through thy cross and blood didst redeem us:
help us, we beseech thee, our God.

No comments: