Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I've been watching the congressional hearing on the misinformation campaign that exploited the stories of Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch. The opening statements of Tillman's brother and Ms. Lynch were powerful and compelling. It made me mad all over again about the deceitfulness that has characterized this administration.

I really wanted to go to Janet's funeral today, but have come down with a horrible head cold since Sunday. I thought the congestion was just allergies, but then came the sore throat and body ache, and I knew the Sudafed was not going to help much. I hope Judy and the others forgive me for not showing up. I don't feel up to a drive across the spillway, much less to Tupelo, and especially not with Mike, who would insist on going with me. I will solicit donations from the rest of my readers for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, in her honor. Go to the funeral home website for the obituary and to post condolences and to make donations.

George sent the best picture of my Johnson family that came on a CD from Amy Bostick, daughter of Sharon Monts Jeffries (?). He's posting it on his site in the next day or two, but I'm using it today. I'm guessing this was made around 1962. We're sitting on a bench on the porch of the old gym, it appears, and since Paul is in his baseball uniform, it was probably right after one of his games. I say "after," since he is standing behind us; the grass and dirt stains on his pants were not visible this way. He looks to be about 12 years old, Betsy 14, I was 15.

No comments: