Sunday, March 04, 2007

Mother looks incredibly well for the condition she's in. Her skin and her eyes were as clear as could be. Today she ate a good breakfast and all of her lunch. She looked up at me and smiled when I spoke to her, but she said nary a word while Mike and I were there. The television was on, but she wasn't watching it, so I turned it off, hoping to get some reaction from her, but there was none. She made soft, moaning grunts the whole time, her breathing and coughing were very shallow and I heard a rattle of congestion in her chest. I spoke with her about family members, but I couldn't tell by her facial expression whether she was listening or understanding what I said. She showed very little interest in anything I did or said, even the tunes I hummed did not generate any response.

Hospice care will be given without moving her. She stays in the same room with the same roommate and staff tending her. The main difference is that she will be medicated for pain. They have concluded by her little moans that she is hurting, even though she has not admitted she has any discomfort since being discharged from the hospital last May.

My chest pains have subsided, but I plan to get an EKG run tomorrow at the doctor's office. He may want to change my meds or something. I went to sleep at 4 pm yesterday and slept for almost 14 hours, getting up around 6 pm to feed the dogs and take them out. Then I changed into pajamas and went right back to bed, and slept until almost 6 this morning. I have felt much better today. Maybe all I needed was some rest.

Congratulations to Karen - she got the job at CBU! Benji sounded so excited in the message he left while we were at church. I hope he can land something similar. It will be so great to have them back in Memphis, I can hardly wait. Keep them in your prayers.

No comments: