Thursday, February 01, 2007

Yesterday's post drew one response from an anonymous source which did not get published. Helpful links were included, however, that have given me way more information than I can ever digest on the federally funded abstinence only curricula being taught in public schools. It appears to be a well organized campaign of misinformation based on fear and shame.

I'm sorry it has come to this, I had no idea. I am obviously behind the times in knowing what goes on these days, since I no longer have children in school. Looks like what little progress that was made in the last three decades in Mississippi in providing for and protecting the rights of women has been set back to square one. It makes me very sad.

Skip told me not long ago that if he didn't hate cold weather as much as he does, he would be strongly tempted to move to a blue state. I'm beginning to feel the same way. Maybe our last election should be seen as an encouraging sign with those who have been misled pushing back, restoring balance. I hope so. As my friend LaRue says, a bird needs two wings to fly.

I heard a report this morning about all the money that has been spent on the war and the rebuilding efforts in Iraq. New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast could have been rebuilt with that money, but no, that's not as important as funding this ill-fated crusade. That makes me sad, too.

Mike and I attended the business meeting at our church last night, then enjoyed a delicious supper in the parish hall afterwards. Two of my choir buddies were elected to the vestry, Cynthia and Ben. According to the reports that were given, our parish is in sound shape, fiscally and spiritually. Annual council in Vicksburg this week-end sounds like it would be fun to attend, but not with Mike, and I'm just not up to arguing with him about it. Our bishop will not be there due to his mother-in-law's grave condition in Maryland. She's not expected to live much longer.

This cold rainy day has me wishing I could go back to bed.

No comments: