Sunday, February 04, 2007

I started today's post earlier and never came back to finish it. Now that I'm back, I found the whole thing so silly that I erased it. Now that I'm staring at a blank screen, I'm totally uninspired. Here's a favorite prayer from an unknown author. I hope everybody has enjoyed a peaceful Sabbath.

Lord, Thou knowest better than I myself that I am growing older and will someday be old. Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.

Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughtful but not moody; helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all; but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips on my aches and pains; they are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.

I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessening cock-sureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet, for a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil. Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places and talents in unexpected people; and give, O Lord, the grace to tell them so.

Amen.

1 comment:

mornin' said...

I enjoyed this post. I went to bed and got up this morning feeling "un-necessary". The prayer brought a smile and a lighter perspective.

I guess I'm a little concerned about Laurie. She'll deliver soon and it's always an anxious time for Mamaw. Pray for us, please.