Sunday, January 07, 2007

In a moment of weakness, I let my doctor persuade me to have a colonoscopy. It's scheduled for Weds. afternoon, and I'm dreading it terribly. The 24 hour fasting that has to be done before the test seems as dreadful to me as the test itself. I don't think I've ever gone that long without food, except maybe after my hysterectomy, and I was lost in a morphine fog for that. Why, with no symptoms and no immediate family history of colon cancer, would I think it was a good idea to do what the doctor said? Why couldn't I "just say no," like my sister did when he advised her to do it? I'm seriously considering calling and cancelling the whole thing.

Betsy came to St. Philip's 10:30 service this morning, then joined Mike and me for lunch at our favorite neighborhood Chinese Buffet. After watching President Ford's funerals, she decided she wants to be Episcopalian. (Photo from the Air Force website.)I applaud her decision, and hope she sticks to it. The Inquirers Class that is taught (during Lent?) would be good for her to take, I believe. She's read the Catechism and knows the basics, but the Inquirers Class gives prospects a much better feeling for the local parish and its particular flavor. Since leaving the Baptist Church, she's tried Methodist, Episcopal, and Presbyterian churches, but seems to prefer The Anglican Way. I, of course, think it's a wise choice, and her eldest daughter will probably agree with me.

Our choir has an easy couple of weeks ahead. David uses this time to visit his mother in NC, so for the next two weeks, we have Sunday morning rehearsals only, no Weds. nights. I'm ready for a rest. When he gets back, we will start preparing for the Mardi Gras costume party being planned for Feb 16. Choir members will be the principal entertainers that night. I'm trying to decide which character from which musical I want to be and what kind of costume and singing it will require. Seems I was a flapper in a former life, and I would really enjoy doing that again, but I don't think there were any 60 year old flappers. I'll come up with something, suggestions are welcomed.

No comments: