Wednesday, November 08, 2006


Happy 42nd Birthday to my first-born! You are a treasure and I love you dearly. Hope this day is special for you in every way. Here is one of my favorite blessings just for you:

May God bless you with a restless discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships so that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with holy anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation, so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, or the loss of all they cherish, so that you may reach out your hand to them and turn their pain into joy.

May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.

And the blessing of God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit be upon you, and all you love and pray for this day and forever more. Amen.

A Franciscan blessing used frequently by our priest Father Tom Slawson as a benediction.

1 comment:

C J Garrett said...

from Rick:

Thanks Mom. It's hard to believe that I'm 42. I appreciate the Blessing as well. I really do feel blessed in so many ways - too numerous to count. I hope that this day brings special memories to you also. The picture was a nice touch!
I love you Mom.
Rick