Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Yesterday I felt especially daring and got my hair cut. We have 100% humidity today, so I've got tight curls and frizz, rather than the loose curls and waves I left the beauty shop with. My mother always said the reason she didn't let my hair grow long as a small child was because it was too hard to brush out all the tangles, but short hair has more curl than long hair, didn't she know that? Especially in Mississippi mugginess. I'm going to the nursing home today to check on her, and I'll try once again to cut her hair. She was totally obstinate when I tried about 3 weeks ago.

The cool, wet weather inspired a new soup mixture in the kitchen. Rather than using a tomato sauce for the base, I used salsa and chicken broth. I'm calling this Salsa Soup. Here's the recipe:

1 24 oz. Pace Chunky Salsa, mild or med.
1 can Clear Chicken Broth
1 can Diced Tomatoes in Juice
1 can Santa Fe Corn
1 can Black Beans
1 cup chopped onions & bell peppers
2 cups diced chicken breast, cooked

Saute onions and peppers in 1 Tbsp. veg. oil. Add all ingredients
and allow to simmer until flavors blend, about 30 mins. Makes about 8 servings of 1 cup. Apx 150 calories per serving. To lower sodium content, rinse corn and beans before adding.

1 comment:

Zoilus said...

So are you back on the South Beach diet, or just trying to exercise and eat right? Karen and I have been doing SB for about a month now, and I've lost about 15 pounds (a tad more than a stone, as they say in Ireland). K's weight loss hasn't been as dramatic, but she's still feeling good about the loose skirts and making some progress. I'm trying to make it back down to 180 or so and then I'll try and maintain it thereafter. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. The things I miss the most are PB&J sandwiches and sugar, candy, sweets of any flavor, but I know none of that is good for me, anyway.