Wednesday, September 20, 2006

There aren't as many white caps on the lake today, but there is a cool breeze to remind us that summer is ending. Nothing invigorates me like crisp Autumn air; I feel so much more alive. Morning walks are a joy, rather than a chore. How sweet it is!

I fully intended to watch Ann Richards' funeral on Monday, but got distracted by all the little irritants that regularly run the course of an average day around here. She was one of my favorite politicians, made me proud to call myself a Texan. C-Span.org has the video, so I'll watch it later. Columnist Liz Smith wrote: The message I brought back from Austin is what I am told Ann said in her final words just before dying. "I don't know where I am, but this is very exciting!" Bill Clinton, in his remarks on Monday, recalled being at a lunch in New York which included Billy Crystal, Robin Williams, and Ann: I thought to myself, I bet this is the only time in their entire lives that Billy Crystal and Robin Williams are the second and third funniest people at the table. Too bad she wasn't the Texan we elected to lead the nation. Wouldn't she have been a great president? I wish Hillary could make people laugh like she did.

Dubya didn't bother to show up, which I thought was tacky. He probably didn't want to get hammered again like he did at Coretta Scott King's funeral. Who can forget the Rev. Joseph Lowery's jab at our current president: We know now there were no weapons of mass destruction over there, but Coretta knew and we know that there are weapons of misdirection right down here -- millions without health insurance, poverty abounds. For war, billions more, but no more for the poor.

Gus is on a tear this morning. The yard men are mowing which always sets him off. At 10:30 the temp is only 68*. Good day to get outside stuff done.



No comments: