Friday, September 08, 2006

Mike and I attended a delightful David Nevue concert last night, and I bought 4 of his CD's. He learned early in the computer age to use the internet to promote his music, even wrote a book about it. Give this son of a preacher man a listen, you'll be glad you did. http://www.davidnevue.com/

George has posted a picture of his Aunt Johnnie, one of our hometown's most colorful characters, on his website. I love what she wrote on the back of the picture, classic Johnnie comedy, I'll bet she has the angels in stitches. http://plantersvilleconnection.blogspot.com/

Skip sent more info on Granny's time at St. Charles Ave. Baptist Church, and I posted it as a comment on my Sept. 6 post. She was raised a Methodist, so that may help to explain her leaning in a little more liberal direction. Like most Baptists back then, she was opposed to dancing, but that was due to her brother being murdered at a Texas barn dance, as much as being a Baptist.

As an ex-wife of a Baptist minister, I wonder if she went through any of the censure that so many of us as divorcees experienced. If she was as clever as I think she was, she called herself a widow, not a "grass widow" as was popular back then, but just "widow." The ex, my grandfather, had died in '42, so that probably freed her to feel better about her single status. I'll be glad when I can sit down with her and get to know her a lot better than I did; and my grandfather, too, whom I never knew.

One of my favorite stories about my grandfather concerns the stroke he had while preaching one Sunday. His second wife ran to his side, wringing her hands, totally clueless about how to help him. It was then he said, "I wish Florence were here; she would know what to do." He died six weeks later at the age of 64. I've always wondered if Florence knew anything about the stroke before he died. Was there a telephone call from Texas to New Orleans? Did Florence make a trip to Texas to see him? She had plenty of relatives living close to where he was. Did one of them call her, write the news in a letter, encourage her to come out for a visit before he expired? Or did he die a slow and agonizing death full of regrets about his unfaithfulness, never to see his beloved Florence again until she entered Glory 20 years later? Did she forgive his foolish ways and make peace with that tragic chapter of her life?

Speaking of forgiveness, I made this picture of the rear of my next door neighbor Art's vehicle. Not hard to see where his loyalties lie. The sticker to the left of the flag says, "I support Greenpeace." And on the rear window are USM and Oral Roberts Univ decals. Interesting fellow, works for a local bank 9-5, then referees ballgames at night and on the week-ends, somewhat of a work-aholic, but he's single and that keeps him out of trouble, he says. Too bad it doesn't keep him out of this old lady's daydreams. He's so cute, he makes me wish I was younger and single.

No comments: