Friday, August 11, 2006

Will wonders never cease? Pat Robertson admitted on his 700 Club that global warming may actually be a problem! "And it is getting hotter, and the ice caps are melting, and there is a buildup of carbon dioxide in the air. And I think we really need to address the burning of fossil fuels. If we are contributing to the destruction of this planet, we need to do something about it." DUH! There may be hope for humanity's earthly home, after all. Wonder what his fans thought of that statement. And I wonder when our prez will see the light.

Even though I haven't seen aninconvenienttruth, I have been taking more seriously the recommendations for ways to cut down the amount of Co2 I produce. There are really simple things we can all do - changing regular light bulbs to fluorescent, driving less, recycling more, inflating tires properly, using less hot water, turning off electronic devices when not in use, adjusting our thermostats, etc.

Yes, I added an AC to our household, but I will try to be frugal with its use. I'm not to the point that I will try to survive summer in the deep south without any AC, as one blogger in Georgia tried to do (without much success past 4th of July). Unlike him, we have no shade trees, and we have inadequate insulation plus health considerations, but the thermostat is watched more carefully and raised more often than it used to be, and I've been changing the filters regularly.

This is one of the latest, greatest shots from Benji's cellphone - The Pipster. I wish Ricky or Mary Ann would send pictures to me as often as they did when Clay and Cooper were babies, but then that is the cutest time of anyone's life, isn't it? http://flickr.com/photos/benjiborden/

I got various responses yesterday to the sappy 9/11 poem I sent to family members, but this one from Betsy bears repeating: God has promised forgiveness for your sinfulness, but he has not promised tomorrow for your procrastination. St. Augustine

1 comment:

Zoilus said...

Yeah, I have more and more respect for the generation who settled and lived in the south before AC. How did they do it?