Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Patches is the oldest member of our menagerie. A 10 yr old Calico, she loves to eat, and can be vicious if Mick gets between her and the food bowl. Here she's licking her lips after enjoying a big breakfast. She loves babies and small children, paying more attention to them than any of her other people. Calicos are more aloof than most cats, don't care much for petting, and are susceptible to weight problems. Patches is still fat, but not as fat as she was before we put her on the indoor cat food. She spends most of her time outside on the deck or the patio, but will sleep on the foot of our bed with the dogs, if she decides she wants to.

I went online last night and found the AC I wanted at Sears, so I ordered it and I'm going out there this morning to pick it up. I hope it's light enough for me to haul it solo and install myself. By 3:00 yesterday, the temp was up to 88* in my office, and didn't start to cool down until 9:00. Enough is enough. Alex, the handyman, is coming at 1:30 to measure for the bathroom job. Maybe I can get him to help with the AC. (The spritzer bottle with ceiling fan on high - that's how I survived the heat.)

I did figure out a work-around for the pictures that are locked into the genealogy program, so I may go back and copy my favorite picture of my parents to the Aug. 7th post. But first I've got to walk with the dogs before the heat takes over.

4:00 pm. The AC has been installed, and my comfort zone is once again comfortable. Why didn't I do this sooner? One of the few advantages of Mike's disability is that I can hire a handyman when I need one. Before the stroke, I would always ask him. He would agree to do it, then procrastinate and complain from beginning to end. I would suggest paying a pro to do the job. More cussing and whining. Now when I need help, I can get it, without all the sound effects. It's so much better.

No comments: