Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I took Mike to St. D. for a blood test this morning. We were there when the lab opened at 7:30. He's supposed to have a lipid profile done monthly, but it's more like every other month, or every 3rd month when he does it. Then we ate breakfast at Primo's on Lakeland. Again, he wanted to know about the trans fats, but the woman taking our order answered, "The butter is on the table," when I asked, "does your food have trans fats or butter?" "That's what the Lipitor is for," I told him when they brought his plate of grits, whole wheat toast and scrambled egg, all three items apparently buttered generously. "Besides, I read somewhere that butter is not as bad as trans fats because it's natural and doesn't clog arteries like margarine." He ate it all with no complaints. Even claimed to enjoy it, especially the coffee. We sat in the booth under the picture of the 1933 Primo's on Capitol Street. He and I both remembered it looking the same way in the 50's when our parents took us there. Each of us liked to sit at the counter and eat brownies.

I got some really good news from Mary Ann yesterday. Ricky called Vance to inquire about the vacant lot next door to his house. I could have been knocked over with a feather. I was shocked! We have begun a prayer campaign to move them back to Mississippi. I can't think of anything that would please me more, unless Benji called to say they're moving back, too. I told her there are plenty more vacant lots in Rankin County if he can't make a satisfactory deal on that one. They've been in their new home in Tampa less than a year, so I'm not sure what's behind this softening of his attitude. Maybe someone has offered him the right price on his new house. With the AT&T/Bellsouth merger, maybe his chances of transferring are better. I just don't know and really don't care what's behind it. The fact that he would consider it at all makes this mama very happy.

Our relatives in the Northeast are getting hammered with a heat wave. I hope they have air conditioning. Betsy said Tara and Steve did not last summer when she was there. With temps in the 90's and some close to 100*, they must be miserable. And those babies! How does she manage? I'd be spending the days in the bathtub. Surely it's cool where she works. Tropical storm Chris in the Carribbean is trying to build to hurricane strength. I just hope we don't have another Katrina. Seems August is getting to be the month to dread, weatherwise.

No comments: