Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I've made room in my office for a small window AC. It got up to 87* in here yesterday. The compact units they make now are so lightweight, I could probably install it myself, but I'll probably wait until Ricky gets here to help me. Since my fall in April, I'm still kinda nervous about climbing ladders. I think I can get a unit big enough for this one room for less than $100.

My house is almost company-ready. I've still got to vacuum and clean the carpets, but I'd like to wait until Friday to do that. Cleaning out the refrigerator yesterday was a real eye-opener, it usually is. We are so wasteful. I threw away more old food than a homeless person eats in a week. That's disgraceful!

Our Gospel reading this morning was from Matthew 25:31-46, the favorite scripture of the social gospel crowd, of which I claim membership, even though my food waste points out clearly one area that needs improvement.
As long as there are those of us with more than enough to eat and those who are hungry, we are failing in our Christian calling. Every three seconds a child dies from poverty related causes, every eight seconds the death is from water borne causes. Three hundred die during the average Sunday sermon, sixteen hundred during the average Sunday Eucharist.

Bono said, "In the Global Village, distance no longer decides who is your neighbor, and 'Love thy neighbor' is not advice, it's a command."

Forgive us, Lord, when we fail to care for "the least of these." I don't have the solution for the world's hunger, but I can waste less and give more. I can welcome the stranger who comes to my door. Our church has pledged support of "Millennium Development Goals" - to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger, achieve universal primary education, promote gender equality and empower women, reduce child mortality, improve maternal health, combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases, ensure environmental sustainability, and develop a global partnership for development. Bless our contributions and our efforts, Lord. Amen.

No comments: