Saturday, July 01, 2006

I see some exotic looking birds when I'm out walking the dogs. I need a book or a website to help me identify them. The strangest, most out of place critter we've seen here lately is a racoon sneaking around the corner of one of the buildings facing the lake. He's probably as much to blame for scattered garbage as unleashed dogs are. Why my neighbors continue to set out plastic bags instead of covered cans for trash pick-up is a mystery to me. What kind of world would we live in if everybody used the brains God gave them?

Father Jake's post this morning was quite poignant. His readers have become increasingly hostile to one another. Today he wants everybody to take a break and reflect on their brokenness. His call for repentance is timely, I believe, and, I pray, effective. I like the openness of his forum, kinda reminds me of a support group, until the trolls showed up, that is. With internet access being what it is, the provocateurs have a much easier job of infiltrating the opposite side and stirring up trouble.

He solicited support for our new bishop elect yesterday and a majority of his readers gave it. I see PBE Schori as just coming to bat. The first ball thrown at her was low and inside, but she took a swing at it. That's strike one, not "you're ooouuuttt!" Since she's on my team, I will be cheering for her until the end of this season. Most of us know who the winner of this world series will be, and I'd much rather be on the winning side.

If we had not passed the B033 resolution, the schismatics on the far right would have used it to prove our unwillingness to commune with them. We deprived them of that by saying, "Yes, we are willing. Are you?" It was their own intolerance that became obvious to the larger body.

There I go, falling into the trap of pride. Which prayer do I pray? "Thank God, I am not a sinner like these others..." or "God, be merciful to me, a sinner?" Polarization does that to us. May we all beat our chests in sorrow and beg God's forgiveness.

No comments: