Friday, July 14, 2006

I made the mistake of watching the news last night, and I immediately regretted it. I subscribe to news headlines from MSNBC and if a story interests me, I click and read. Otherwise, the headline is usually enough to tell me it's not good. That way I have some idea of what's going on in the world without all the gory details. I cancelled my newspaper subscription months ago, and rarely open my Time magazine. Sometimes I catch Jon Stewart doing his parody of the day's news, but there are times when even he can't make anything funny out of world events.

We seem to be a lot closer to Armageddon today than we were just a month ago. It distresses me, especially when I realize there are Christians who are praying for the end of the world, the Rapture, the Second Coming. It's one of the most perverted forms of faith anyone can have. Rather than working for the good of all mankind, for making the world a better place for our children and grandchildren, they expect Jesus to come and rescue them from the ever-increasing difficulty of peace work. And they justify their militant indifference with Scriptures like our Gospel reading today (Matthew 24:15-31).

How many generations have come and gone since Jesus uttered these words? Every generation has those who are sure there is nothing they can do but sit and wait,

...for they will see "the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven” with power and great glory. 31 And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

And still He doesn't come. Rather than the unfaithful being left behind, we're all still here to cope with the war mongers' apocalyptic aggression. That's why I don't watch the news or read about it much, makes me want to join the sky-gazing crowd.

Mahatma Gandhi said, "When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it - always."

And that from a non-Christian. Wow!

Benji has been sending little 15 second movies of Pip that keep this Gramma grinning. What a happy, cute baby! Wish I could reach through cyberspace and hug him and cover him with kisses.

Betsy called yesterday to tell me her ex made his trip to Dallas that he's been planning for a while. He was terribly disoriented when the cops picked him up and carried him to Parkland Hospital. The psychiatrist who called her for his medical history said they would try to get him back on his meds and stabilized. I'm surprised his old truck made it that far.

O God of love, hear our prayer for all who suffer from schizoaffective disorder. In their days of declining cognitive function, emotional stability, and perception of reality, be with them in their fears.When they suffer from delusions, hallucinations, difficulty communicating, and general lack of enthusiasm and expression, bless their families who suffer with them. Surround them all with tender love from family, friend, and stranger. Grant them peace in their hearts, a secure home environment, and dignity in their lives. May each day bring a blessing, hope, and greater love. Amen.

No comments: