Sunday, June 25, 2006

Just as I predicted, GC06 made no difference to our local congregation at all. The only hint I got that someone else may have been disturbed by last week's events was when Molly in her sermon mentioned being in the midst of a personal storm, praying for Jesus to calm the stormy waves that were washing over her. (Our Gospel lesson for the day was the "Peace be still" passage from Mark.) We had a bulletin insert giving the news about the election of the new Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori with her bio, but that was all. Am I the only church political junkie at St. Philip's?

Reports of considerable arm-twisting are beginning to surface in the blogosphere, as well as bumper stickers with the rainbow background that say "The Episcopal Church Welcomes You, The Anglican Church, Not So Much," and T-shirts bearing the message "My manner of life presents a challange to the wider church." Bishop Robinson's message to his LGBT Brothers and Sisters is one of the sweetest and most encouraging things I've read so far. http://www.thewitness.org/article.php?id=1100

One of the most disturbing things I've read is Stand Firm's printing and critique of Bishop Gray's letter to his clergy. With them being as upset as they are with his calm reassurances and generally positive report, my impression of him is delightfully improved. Not everyone can ride the storm-tossed seas as he has and remain calm. Isn't that more like Jesus than those running around crying, "The sky is falling!"

http://www.standfirminfaith.com/index.php/site/index

Gracious Father, we pray for thy holy catholic Church. Fill it with all truth, in all truth with all peace. Where it is corrupt, purify it; where it is in error, direct it; where in any thing it is amiss, reform it. Where it is right, strengthen it; where it is in want, provide for it; where it is divided, reunite it; for the sake of Jesus Christ thy Son our Savior. Amen. (from the BCP)

Mike and I ate lunch at No. 1 China Buffet. Then we came home and took naps. I do that so often that Gus and Jay-Jay have come to expect it. We called Clay afterward and wished him a happy 12th birthday. He sounded so grown-up, but he's still so sweet it makes my heart ache to see him. They had been to Adventure Island, the Busch Gardens water park, until it started raining. Tonight they were going to the movie. I'm so glad they've got a trip planned up here in July.

1 comment:

Zoilus said...

Yeah, I can't believe he is already 12, either. Man, just yesterday I was holding that little newborn in my arms, thinking what a sweet little booger he was. Where does the time go? He called me to thank me for our present and told me a little about his day before we got cut off. His Dad told him to say that we ought to come see them, of course, and we will one day. Just not anytime while we're doing the whole Memphis weekend commute. Tell them we all said "Hi" when you see them.